Great Credit Cards for Bad Credit
If your credit is below the “good credit” benchmark of 700, you might think the only credit cards available to you are “bad credit cards.” But if that’s what you think, there’s good news: there are many great credit cards available for people with no-so-great credit.
Here’s what to look for in a good credit card (for people with bad credit):
- A low interest rate. Many credit cards marketed to people with poor credit have high interest rates. While it’s true that the very lowest interest rates might not be available to you if your credit is on the lower end of the spectrum, there are still credit cards out there with reasonable interest rates. Look for one with the lowest possible interest rate on both purchases and balance transfers.
- Speaking of balance transfers, try to find a card that will let you do one at a lower interest rate than what you are now paying on any revolving debt you may have. You may be able to find a balance transfer offer with a 0% APR interest rate for a few months. This will save you money in interest payments and help you knock down your debt faster. Chipping away at your debt will help improve your credit, so it’s a win-win situation.
- Make sure the credit card reports to major credit bureaus. Some types of credit cards for people with limited credit don’t report your activity to credit bureaus. Secured cards are one of the kinds of credit cards that people with poor credit often turn to, but they are also the ones that may not report to credit bureaus. Just call customer service and ask which credit bureau they report to before you apply.
- You can still get rewards. Just because your credit is poor, it doesn’t mean you cannot get a credit card that gives some rewards. There are many kinds of loyalty rewards, so whether you are looking for points, cash back, travel perks, or a sign up bonus, look for a card that offers what you want.
- Student cards can be a way to get your credit back on track. Young people usually start college with no credit history, but they can still be approved for credit cards. That’s because they usually apply for a student credit card. These cards are designed for people who don’t have good credit, or any credit at all. They are regular credit cards that may have a lower limit, but they very rarely have annual fees, often have low interest rates, and may even offer rewards like 1% cash back on all purchases.
Remember, when you’re looking for a credit card that caters to people with bad credit, it doesn’t mean you are looking at bad credit cards. Just like bad things can happen to good people, good credit cards happen to people with bad credit history. The only way to improve your credit history is by using credit responsibly. And to do that, you need a great credit card.
Latest Bad Credit Cards Guides
It is absolutely true that bad credit can cause a lot of inconvenience and problems. Having poor credit history, you will not likely get approved for credit cards with great rewards and perks, high credit limits, and low APRs. Moreover, you may even face hardships while renting a house or looking for a job. Fortunately, […]Continue »
Without a doubt, every credit cardholder is not averse to earning some rewards or other benefits while building their credit history. And everyone knows that almost all good or excellent credit credit cards can ensure this.Continue »
If you have bad credit, you probably have already got to know all its fallouts. Most likely, you meet not only high interest rates on credit cards and denied applications but also difficulties getting a job, renting an apartment or purchasing a car. This is not the whole list. A bad credit score can seriously affect all spheres of your life.Continue »
You might have never thought of ever facing such a thing as bankruptcy. However, each of us may have things going the wrong way one day and stay with a huge unpaid indebtedness. No matter how scary it is even to pronounce the word “bankruptcy”, it doesn’t look like a good idea to just leave it where it is and put yourself in a debt trap. Especially since our government takes care not only of lenders but also of the borrowers. In case of financial difficulties, you will be protected by law.Continue »
Credit scores are incredibly important in order to do a number of things: rent an apartment, get approved for a mortgage, car loan, or business loan, and even to get a job. But as important as credit scores are to almost every adult who wants to live a full and rewarding life, many of us still don’t understand the basic facts about how credit reports work and what a good or bad credit score really means.Continue »