Guide to Discover it® Cash Back Bonus Categories in 2019
Discover affords holders of some their cash back credit cards an opportunity to get 5% back on purchases of up to $1,500 per quarter after activation in certain locations rotating quarterly. As a rule, cards of that kind come with the highest rewards.
Discover’s Cashback Bonus Calendar
During the first quarter – from January to March, cardholders could enjoy 5% cash back at grocery stores. Now as the second quarter has started, let’s see what we are to benefit of in the next three quarters of the year.
- April 1 – June 30, 2019: Gas stations, Uber (except Uber Eats) and Lyft. Available for activation.
- July 1 – September 30, 2019: Restaurants (full-service restaurants, cafes, cafeterias and fast food locations) and PayPal. Can be activated starting May 1.
- October 1 – December 31, 2019: Amazon.com, Target and Walmart.com. Can be activated starting August 1.
- Available for the Discover it® Cash Back, the Discover it® Balance Transfer, the Discover it® Student Cash Back and the NHL® Discover it® credit cards;
- Activate categories each quarter;
- Earn 5% cash back until you reach $1,500 in purchases (up to $75 cash back);
- Earn 1% cash back on all other purchases (unlimited);
- Purchases made using tap-and-pay, mobile or wireless card readers, virtual wallets or similar technology may not be eligible;
- Cashback bonus appears at your account within two billing periods;
- Cashback bonus never expires;
- Cash back may be redeemed for gift cards with $5 free added to each card, starting at $20, purchases at Amazon.com, a charitable donation, a deposit to your bank account or your Discover bill.
How to Activate Cashback Bonus Categories
If you have been using one of the Discover cash back credit cards for some time already, you may have noticed some e-mails from Discover with a reminder and a direct activation link. Otherwise, you may simply log in to your Discover Card Account at Discover.com or call the issuer directly to activate categories. The activation is free.
Discover allows to activate the bonuses in advance. We would advise you to take it as a rule, so as not to miss the valuable days of increased cash back. For example, you will be able to activate the Q3 5% cash back at restaurants starting May 1.
And do not forget to activate this quarter category in case you haven’t done it yet!
Latest Credit Card Rewards Guides
When one imagines the perfect credit card, it, as a rule, comes with a worthwhile rewards program. Rewards are one of the main advantages of credit card owning. And no wonder, since we all are so used to the pleasure of receiving bonuses and discounts during shopping. Therefore, everyone wants to have a rewards credit […]Continue »
Credit card referral offers is a great opportunity to earn additional money or bonuses like points, cash back and miles just for sending an invitation to apply for a particular credit card to your friends or relatives. Luckily, most major credit card issuers offer referral bonuses for their cardholders. If using these programs wisely, they may become a real gold mine. But what should you do to participate?Continue »
When looking for a new credit card, most people want one that will give them the most rewards. But with so many different types of rewards credit cards to choose from, how can folks know which one is going to deliver the most bang for their buck?Continue »
People often wonder what kind of credit card will give them the most valuable credit card rewards. Should they get a travel rewards card, or a co-branded airline card, or a cash back card with rotating reward categories?Continue »
If you have a cash back credit card, chances are it’s one that offers you 5% back in certain spending categories that change each quarter. These types of cards are some of the most popular cash back cards, and for good reason. It’s an easy way to earn cash back in different categories, and gives you a variety of ways to earn credit card rewards.Continue »